Sumer is a growing start-up. We are hiring IT-talents and in a continuous dialogue with freelancers around the world. If you want to contribute to our team, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Dr. Alaa El-Hussuna was born in Al-Nasseria-Iraq on the 1st January 1973. He obtained his medical degree in Baghdad-Iraq in 1996, his surgical specialization in Copenhagen-Denmark in 2013 and his master degree in information technology from IT University, Copenhagen- Denmark in 2003.
Dr. El-Hussuna led many national and international research projects. Among these projects “IBDResponse” which involved two universities, 9 departments in 3 hospitals in addition to 2 laboratories with a competitive budget of more than 100.000 euro. He led the European society of coloproctology prospective audit in 2017 with the participation of more than 1700 collaborators from 360 hospitals in 57 countries around the world. Dr. El-Hussuna organized courses, workshops, meetings and engaged in research activities.
||Sub-specialisation in colorectal surgery. Aalborg University Hospital.
||ESCP Colo-rectal fellowship, St. Vincent’s Hospital, Dublin-Ireland
||Specialization in surgery. Copenhagen University hospitals in Hvidovre, Hilerød, and Herlev.
||Master of sciences in information technology (M.Sc.). IT University. Denmark.
||Bachelor in medicine and surgery (M.B.CH.B), Saddam college of medicine Iraq.
||Consultant surgeon, Aalborg University Hospital.
||Consultant surgeon, Slagelse hospital, department of GI surgery
||Senior resident, Hillerød & Hvidovre Hospitals, Department of GI surgery
||Resident, Herlev, Glostrup & Hvidovre Hospitals, Department of GI surgery.
||Physician /surgeon, Doctors without borders, Liberia & Chad.
||Physician /surgeon, Doctors without borders, Liberia & Chad.
||Physician /surgeon, different private clinics in Amman, Jorden
||Senior resident, Saddam University hospital, department of surgery.
||Resident, Saddam University hospital, department of surgery, Baghdad-Iraq.
- ESCP research sub-committee: leader of ESCP audit on left colon and rectum resections to be conducted in 2017
- Multi-centre prospective study about surgical stress response in IBD patients. The project involved surgical, clinical biochemistry and anesthesia departments in three Danish hospitals, two laboratories in addition to Copenhagen University.
- Expert panel: member of expert panel “Danish society for auto-immune diseases” since 2017
- Workshop for consultants surgeons, gastroenterologists, radiologists and pathologists involved in the management of patients with inflammatory bowel diseases. Copenhagen 2015
- Workshop on management of patients with inflammatory bowel diseases. Slagelse 2015
- Workshop on acute gastro-intestinal bleeding for surgeons and nurses. Copenhagen 2013
- Workshop on acute gastro-intestinal bleeding for surgeons and nurses. Copenhagen 2012
- The one-day course in laparoscopic surgery for residents.
- Several workshops for nurses and physician assistants in Zwedru-Liberia 2004.
- Project supervisor
- Sommer research project Lilian Gullaksen– Aalborg University Hospital 2017
- Graduation’s project Sanne Dich- Århus University
- Sommer research project Sanne Dich- Aalborg University Hospital 2016.
- Graduation’s project Marie Storm Zangenberg- Copenhagen University
- Research year Marie Storm Zangenberg- Køge Hospital 2016
- Research year Sarah Larsen- Køge Hospital 2015
- Inspector of post-graduate education
- Junior inspector 2011
- Senior inspector 2014
- Membership in editorial boards:
- EC Gastroenterology and Digestive System
- SM Journal of Gastroenterology & Hepatology
- Current Updates in Hepatology and Gastroenterology
- Invited speaker:
- Alpine colorectal meeting 2018
- ESCP trial session Berlin 2017
- ESCP trial session Milano 2016
- S-ECCO masterclass in IBD surgery Amsterdam 2016
- Lithuanian surgical association annual meeting 2016
- Speaker at ASCRS, ESCP, ECCO, DKS, and MSF
- Authors of guidelines
- GRADE guidelines committee, ECCO 2018
- Guidelines on the management of inflammatory bowel diseases. Slagelse 2014
- Instructor: MSF one-day course on inter-cultural communication 2008-2014
- ESCP/ECCO guidelines for surgical treatment of Crohn’s disease 2015-2016.
- British Journal of Surgery
- Langebecks archives of surgery
- Colo-rectal diseases (journal of European Society of Colo-Proctology)
- World Journal of Gastroenterology
- Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology
- International Surgery (journal of the international college of surgeons)
- Ugeskrift for læger
- New American Journal of Gastroenterology & Hepatology.
- Research coordinator
- International coordinator in “ESCP Research Sub-Committee for Cohort Studies
- Founder of Danish Collaborative Research Network.
Iesalnieks, I. Spinelli, A., Frasson, M., Di Candido, F., Scheef, B. Horesh, N., Iborra, M., Schlitt, H-J., El-Hussuna, A. Risk of postoperative morbidity in patients undergoing bowel resections for colonic Crohn’s disease (submitted)
- El-Hussuna, A., Qvist, N., Zangenberg, M.S, Langkilde, A., Siersma, V, Hjort, S, Gögenur, I. No effect of anti-TNF-α agents on the surgical stress response in patients with inflammatory bowel diseases undergoing bowel resections: A prospective multi-center study (submitted).
- European Society of Coloproctology collaborating group. Risk factors associated with unfavorable post-operative outcome in patients with Crohn’s disease undergoing abdominal resections. Colorectal Dis. 2017
- Zangenberg M., El-Hussuna A. Systematic Review Psychiatric Morbidity after Surgery for Inflammatory Bowel Disease. World J Gastroenterol. 2017
- Zangenberg M., Horesh N, Kopylov U, El-Hussuna A. Pre-operative optimization of patients with Inflammatory Bowel Disease undergoing gastrointestinal surgery: Systematic review. . Int J Colorectal Dis 2017.
- Hendel K, Kjærgaard S, El-Hussuna A A systematic review on pre, peri and post-operative factors and their implications for the length of resected bowel segments in patients with Crohn’s disease.Int J Surg Open 2017;7: 10-16.
European Society of Coloproctology collaborating group. The relationship between method of anastomosis and anastomotic failure after right hemicolectomy and ileo-caecal resection: an international snapshot audit. Colorectal Dis. 2017. Ahead of print
El-Hussuna A., Hadi S, Iesalnieks I.No difference in postoperative outcome after acute surgery whether the patients presented for the first time or are known with Crohn’s disease.Int J Surg Open; 2017; 6: 1-4.
Michael M, El-Hussuna A. Acute abdomen causing herniation of a paraesophageal hernia resulting in compromised respiratory function: A case report.Int J Surg Case Rep. 2017 Jan 23;31:180-183. doi: 10.1016/j.ijscr.2017.01.051
Dich S, El-Hussuna A. Retroperitoneal hematoma after trauma presents with rectal bleeding: A case report. Int J Surg Case Rep. 2016; 28:45-47.
- El-Hussuna A., Iesalnieks I, Hadi S, Horesh N, Dreznik Y., Zmora O. The effect of pre-operative optimization on postoperative outcome in Crohn’s disease resections. Int J Colorectal Dis. 2017;32:49-56.
- Zirak-Schmidt, El-Hussuna A. Mechanical intestinal obstruction following a blunt abdominal trauma. Case report. Ann Med Surg. 2015; 26: 338-40
- Eljaja S, Hadi S, El-Hussuna A. Perforated diverticulitis sigmoidei after laparoscopic cholecystectomy. J Surg Case Rep. 2015. pii: rjv018. doi: 10.1093/jscr/rjv018.
- El-Hussuna, A. Theede K, Olaisson G. Increased risk of post-operative complications in patients with Crohn’s disease treated with anti-tumor necrosis factor α agents – a systematic review. DAN MED J 2014;61: A4975
- Vyrdal C, El-Hussuna A. Laparoscopically treated small bowel obstruction due to internal herniation through the broad ligament. Pol Przegl Chir. 2014;86:377-9.
- El-Hussuna, A. Krag A, Olaisson G, Bendtsen F, Gluud, LG. The effect of anti-tumor necrosis factor agents on the postoperative complications in Crohn’s disease patients undergoing abdominal operation: Systemic review and meta-analysis. Dis Colon Rectum 2013; 56:1423-33
- El-Hussuna A, Lauritsen M & Bülow S. Relatively high incidence of complications after loop ileostomy reversal.DMB 2012;59:A4517
- El-Hussuna A, Andersen J, Bisgaard T, Jess P, Henriksen M, Oehlenschlager J, Thorlacius-Ussing O, Olaison G. Biologic treatment or immunomodulation is not associated with postoperative anastomotic complications in abdominal surgery for Crohn’s disease. Scand J Gastroenterol. 2012 Jun;47:662-8.
- El-Hussuna A, Lauritsen M & Bülow S. Complications following construction and closure of loop ileostomies – a systematic review. Ugeskr Laeger. 2011 May 30;173(22):1563-1567.
El-Hussuna A, Arnesen RB, Rosenberg J. Tramadol poisoning with hyperamylasemia. BMJ Case Rep. 2010 Aug 6;2010. pii: bcr0320102821. doi: 10.1136/bcr.03.2010.2821.
El-Hussuna A, Zeb A, Mogensen AM, Naver L. Meckels divertikel-perforation med intra-abdominal blødning og periappendikulær inflammation. Ugeskr Laeger. 2009 Dec 7;171:3676-7
1) El-Hussuna, A. Infections in patients receiving anti-TNF alpha therapy. Best practice in Reumatology
2) El-Hussuna A, Bagger J. Vagt klassifikation i kirurgisk afdeling. Ugeskr læger. 2014; 8:176.
3) El-Hussuna A, Pfeiffer PK. Intussusception. Ugeskrift for læger. 2012 Aug 20;174:1911.
4) El-Hussuna A, Læger uden Grænsers kirurgiske projekter. Ugeskr læger 2007;169:3012
When asked why he started Sumer, Dr. El-Hussuna frequently quotes Gandhi:
“I do not want my house to be walled in on all sides and my windows to be stuffed. I want the cultures of all the lands to be blown about my house as freely as possible. But I refuse to be blown off my feet by any.”